Give them hope to take it all away. Final score: 4-3 Oilers
The Edmonton Oilers faced the Calgary Flames for the second time this preseason and I have the breakdown of all the notable things that happened in tonight’s game. As a lineup note, I won’t do the usual wrap-up format you’ll see during the regular season, but instead focus on some of the things that stood out to me overall. I will get back to the normal schtick though when we start for real on October 13th.
THINGS TO MENTION …
- Are you surprised Brendan Perlini scored his fifth goal of the preseason? You are not, are you? That’s because he might be the greatest hockey player to ever play for this franchise.
- Jesse Puljujarvi is going to score a bunch of goals this season and I’d bet Gregor’s money on that too. Not only does he look taller and faster, but he’s also working with a year of playing alongside McDavid under his belt, which can only help him take a step forward in the second round.
- Watching Connor McDavid will always be worth my time. Pre-season, off-season, paid take for Adidas on this Instagram account… I agree.
- I’ve written a few times about the front row having the potential to be one of the best in the league, and the idea only got stronger after watching them again here against the Flames. Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi is going to be magic.
- Leon Draisaitl looks like he’s keen to win a second Art Ross Trophy because he looks well entered. Aside from the fact that he scored the go-ahead goal in the third period, if his teammates can take advantage of one of the many opportunities he has will surely feed them during the season, then he will surely be again among the league leaders in scoring.
- I know a lot of us have written off Mikko Koskinen at this point, but you can count me as someone who will encourage him to have a solid year in what will likely be his last as an Oiler. I don’t expect Mikko to suddenly turn into a Vezina candidate as some sort of contract year miracle, but if he can hover around the league average I think you’ll be fine. I also know that the “if” in this sentence carries a lot of weight.
- The Oilers’ power play will be a big part of this team’s success this year and it’s great to see the boys playing with him already. Edmonton conceded two goals on the power play and I would say that was the difference between winning and losing.
- I hope Dave Tippett will give Evan Bouchard the green light to shoot from the parking lot if he wants to because the kid has a cannon that’s going to sneak up on some guys if they’re not careful.
- Is it strange to see Duncan Keith in an Edmonton Oilers jersey? It will take a minute to get used to.
- I’m not going to place too much emphasis on the preseason performances, but is anyone else nervous about what we’ve seen of Cody This so far? It seems like there is one shit per night that makes me scratch my head and make me hope he can settle down sooner rather than later because we’re going to need him to play his best.
- I need to hear Zack Kassian’s name more than once or twice on a show. Right now, too much time passes between shifts when it is visible and this is an issue that we need to resolve quickly.
- I don’t really understand why Dave Tippett played McDavid with Draisaitl in the third period. We all know the duo click like no other, why not use that time to jump into other things? Was the goal to see if Hyman-Nuge can work together? Meh, whatever, maybe it’s just me nit-picking.
- Streaming is still an adventure, although you think it’s been sorted out at this point.
SUMMARY OF RATING
Next, the Oilers will face the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday night at 7 p.m. MT for their first preseason meeting with the game broadcast on Sportsnet 1.